Discover Loch Leven in the heart of Scotland
 
 

St Andrews Jubilee

 

Gullane

 

Panmure

 

Lundin Links

 
Back to the itineraries
Back to the Category Homepage

18-hole Links Courses Itinerary #2

St Andrews Jubilee
The Jubilee Course at St Andrews was originally opened as a 12-hole layout in 1897 and was extended to 18 holes in 1905.

To keep pace with improvements in technology and to provide St Andrews with another course capable of hosting championship golf, the Links Trust, who run all the St Andrews courses, brought in architect Donald Steel to undertake redesign and refurbishment work.

The result is a course that is now considered by some to be the toughest of the St Andrews courses. It was used alongside the Old Course for the Amateur Championship in 2004, the R & A’s 250th anniversary year.
  • Address St Andrews Links Trust, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9SF
  • Tel: 01334 466666
  • Fax: 01334 477036
  • Email: reservations@standrews.org.uk
  • Website: http://www.standrews.org.uk
  • Size: 18 Holes
  • Length: 6742
  • Type: Links
  • Par: 72
  • SSS: 73
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gullane #1
Records of play between the Weavers of Aberlady and the Weavers of Direlton in 1650 confirm that golf has been played around the Gullane Hill for well over 350 years.

Organisation came with the foundation of the Gullane Club in 1882 as the game became more popular and accessible to the wider public with the arrival of the gutta percha ball in 1848. The No1 course at Gullane is the principal of the three courses and has been a venue for many important championships in its long and distinguished history. As far back as 1897 the Club organised the British Ladies™ Championship and it has been a regular qualifying course for the Open in the years since. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Panmure
The original Panmure Gold Club shared the links of Monifieth - nine holes originally laid out by Allan Robertson and Alexander Pirie in 1845 - but congestion on the course forced the Panmure men to move to their present location at Barry close to the championship links of Carnoustie on the Angus coast.

Huge sand dunes and rolling links land were there in abundance. The hand of Old Tom Morris from St Andrews was much involved in the first layout but over the years changes were made until James Braid travelled north from Walton Heath to create a much longer and stiffer test. It was here on the Barry links that Ben Hogan practised assiduously before his one and only appearance and victory in the Open Championship at Carnoustie in 1953. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lundin Links
In a previous life the links of the Lundin Golf Club and the course of its neighbours across the Mile Dyke at Leven, were one and the same with, for a time, the clubs sharing the course and starting from opposite ends.

In 1909 the single course was divided at the Dyke and both clubs added nine additional holes to create two courses. Lundin Golf Club brought in James Braid to lay out the new holes on the north side of the railway line and remodel several of the holes from the original course. Today Lundie as it is better known remains an Open Championship qualifying course and is home to the East of Scotland Championship which annually attracts many of the top amateur players in the country.

Back to the itineraries
Back to the Category Homepage